Sunday, May 18, 2008

Syttende Mai

The 17th of May is Norway's Independence Day from Sweden. We celebrated with many parades and festivities yesterday. It was busy but a good time was had by all. The weather is always a lottery here so it was a plus that the sun was shining.



We met Reidar's oldest sister in town for the 7am morning procession. Yes, that meant getting up way too early to get all of us dressed and out of the house. But it really was lovely. Above is my oldest daughter (in the pearls) and my oldest niece. Emilie is wearing a bunad, which is a traditional dress. Ainsley will receive one next year when she is confirmed. I'm already working on the stitchery!
After the morning parade, we headed back to where we lived to participate in the school parade. It was a long walk from the church to the school but Zoey did great. Here she is with her bestest friend. We have a bunad from when Ainsley was little so hopefully it will fit Zoey next year.
Here are the children all lined up. Each class tried to outdo each other with their Hurras and singing.
This is the Retzius grandchildren. The kids always have fun when they get together.
This day is by far Zoey's favorite day. She gets to walk in parades, wave flags, toot her horn, dress up, and eat all the ice cream she wants. She was sad when the day was over. It might actually top her birthday!

3 comments:

Trudy said...

It's fun to see the pictures and learn about the culture and life you're living there. Not a brunette in the whole lot. It must be a fun day if it can top Zoey's birthday (who looked so cute).

If someone asked me to pick out your child in the cousin picture, I would've known Garrett was yours. He looks just like you and your Dad.

Who'd have thought when we were growing up that someday you would be celebrating "Syttende Mai" or making sure your daughter had a bunad.

LeeLee said...

I know...Garrett is definitely my child. I have a picture of my dad when he was very young and they look just alike. I'm not sure if Garrett was happy to hear that because he only knows "Grandpa John" lol
I would have never guessed in a million years that I would be living in a foreign country, speaking a foreign language, and buying bunads. I thought I was a Hanford girl through and through!

Lisa said...

Loved reading this post! It is hard to believe that you grew up in Central California! What a great tradition with the costumes and the parades!
All the kids are so cute and TNS was right your son looks just like your dad, only lighter!